Ten years ago, I was getting my braces off, dancing with the Charmers, and trying so hard to convince my parents that if I didn't get a cell phone, I might die. I didn't get that cell phone until the next birthday...but I managed to survive.
I've always wanted to be older than my birth certificate states that I am. . .I don't get it either. My brother is 2 years older than me and I always wanted to hang out with him, so maybe that's part of the deal. I met a boy that I was really into when I was 21..he was 25..and so I was going to lie and tell him I was 22...but then decided to just say "I am almost 22" (this was in March...7 months before I was 22). I think the only reason he stayed around to hang out was because I had made him birthday cookies. . . and he probably was embarrassed for me and my attempt to add a year to my age just to impress him. I am prettttty sly....
I have been really irritated with the idea of turning 25. I am not at all where I had planned I would be when I was 25....actually, I am in an entirely different world with zero direction to tell me where I'll be..even tomorrow. When I turned 23 I had my life completely planned out. I was happy (kind of). I was in a serious relationship with my best friend. I was about to get a new puppy-Sofie...and I was planning on training her as my therapy dog. I was out of college with no definite plan of going back. I had made new friends in the new city I was living in, and finally felt like I was fitting in there. But, as life sometimes works, all of that came to a somewhat abrupt end....and for the past 2 years I have been...well.....up, down, up, down, way up, way down, back around...and then sometimes just not sure where I am. Not to mention, got caught in an 8 month trap of insanity with one of those nightmare boyfriends that star in horror movies. Thank the good Lord above I woke up from that disaster :)
In order to stay positive on this 25th year, I decided to come up with a list of 25 pearls of wisdom that I have and am still learning. . . . (in no particular order)
1. Never listen to someone who tells you that you are being "unrealistic" (unless you are trying to teach your pet flamingo to build an igloo). Do what you want, and let them stand in the dust if they don't support you.
2. My dogs seriously have made my heart 10x bigger because of how much love they have in their baby hearts.
3. Arguing with someone who is a much more talented arguer will get you no where. So...just let them talk.
4. If you don't care about yourself, no one else will either.
5. Taco bell is only good when eaten with your best friend, really late at night, after you are able to recognize the chemicals you are putting into your belly.
6. Pearls look amazing on dachshunds.
7. The moments in which I thought there was NO way I was going to make it... DID/will make me stronger.
8. It never gets old to tell someone you are proud of them.
9. Believe you are worth it. Every. Single. Day.
10. Listen to your heart....but don't forget to check in with your brain, too.
11. Be spontanious....do something you've wanted to do...but everyone said you couldn't (move to NYC for the summer! :) )
12. Don't forget to sleep in your retainers every night!!
13. You deserve to be treated like a human being with feelings. Don't let anyone take that right away.
14. Cry. Feel. and work through difficulties. Covering them up and hiding from them will only give them time to strengthen.
15. Thank God you are you....by being yourself :)
16. Eat carbs. Your body needs them.
17. Be open minded...and if you don't understand something someone does....let them deal with it..and then be there if they need you.
18. Everyone you love deserves and should know...just that.
19. Icees cure almost anything.
20. Life goes on....even when I don't think it will.
21. Ketchup is the best condiment ever created.
22. Slow country music makes my heart sad, and I want to cry. So. Listen to sparingly! :)
23. Try new things in moderation (haha, kidding....!?)
24. Just because someone can't love you the way you wish they could...doesn't mean you aren't good enough to be loved by someone else.
25. My/your biggest regret can never be taken back. It's done. It's over. Gotta keep my/your head up, allow myself/yourself to be forgiven, and take the time to love myself/yourself.
CHEERS to another year :)
-Cortney

I just love you. You make my heart smile :)
ReplyDelete