Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Like a big chocolate cake, we all rise when placed in the right state-of-mind :)

You know when you are really struggling with something and you know you have two options: one, to let your self shatter into a million pieces and believe you are a lost cause..or  two, force yourself to hold it together and tell yourself 100 times a day that you ARE here for a reason and the things that are causing you so much pain will eventually teach you something..somehow. . . . .




I met a young man in class a few weeks ago who was in a tragic accident 2 years ago ("Hangman's injury--head was decapitated and miraculously survived).  He (Robert) was told he would only be able to blink..no other movements, communication, or cognitive function. After spending 2 years in OT school, I have learned a lot about how certain injuries affect your body's ability to recuperate and therefore how to help those who have injuries, such as Robert's, who will "never have independence again". 

The morning I met Robert, I woke up and made the decision I was never going to get anywhere with my "recovery" and it would be so much more freeing if I just* continued doing what I have been doing for 80% of my life and see how much longer I can make it on my own.  I have been emotionally hungover for a long time, and that particular day it was especially difficult to snap out of it. 

 The human spirit is the most phenomenal thing I've ever experienced; Take Robert, for example. He is working his butt off to become functional and live LIFE regardless of his circumstances. He fights for his life and doesn't take it fore granted....something I have a very difficult time doing.  If i don't kick ass and love myself, I will of course stay stuck and without hope....lesson #549,463,535.

I happened to run into Robert and some of his friends at the trail I run at and after thirty minutes of talking with him, I had one of those "God moments". My osteoporosis is acting up and despite being told not to run, I have been doing just that. Being careless with my body has become a nasty habit that I'm slowly starting to realize.  As I stood next to Robert I remembered the immense blessing I have (functioning body) like I never have before. I stood there with bruises and pain because I continue to choose to hurt my body instead of ask for help and therefore respect my body's needs. This all happened a week ago and I am trying so hard to keep these feelings stored in my head, and remember how hard I have worked to get my entire body in a place that I could function outside of a hospital bed. 

And so to conclude, I'll remind myself and anyone who read this..... "you gotta keep on keepin' on...no matter what"


BLESSINGS:)

Cortney
 

1 comment:

  1. Such a good post! Sometimes I feel like I want to just give up! Then I think about this girl Kasey who is 7 and having chemo for the 3rd time. Things like this make me think I have things good, a healthy girl (except muscle issues), a great family and I can do whatever I want most days! I hope things get better wi you. I miss ya

    ReplyDelete